Friday, June 09, 2006

Be Careful What You Wish For

It's always interesting how God uses times in our lives for His purposes. He seems to especially delight in seeing what we say, and then checking back with us to see if we REALLY MEAN IT. You post one day on your blog about living life "spoiled for the ordinary," seeing how God can lead us on His adventure. You might have the opportunity to speak at church, and talk about riding the rapids with Jesus. How in the river of God, the best place to be is in the middle of the river where it is deep riding His currents, rather than wading in the shallow water and getting caught up in debris on the sides of the shore. Even if you go over the waterfall and have some turbulence. You might even get called in to a meeting at work and be told that your contract is not being renewed.

Huh?

What did you say?

Is that a snicker I hear?

Yes, God does have a sense of humor. And yes, that would be yours truly, who had an eventful week, to say the least. Seems I've been spouting off lately about really trusting in God and going wherever the Spirit takes you. I would caution people that if you want to do that type of thing, be ready to have Him take you up on it! Because there is a very good chance that He will.

The rest of the story is, my employers decided to exercise a "no cause" clause in my contract, stating that even though they liked me as a person, and couldn't really fault my work, they didn't think I was a fit with what they wanted to do. Interesting. Thus I get to live up to my bold talk, or eat my words. Let me tell you, I'm not really up to second helpings. It's been a hard week (with that and Blogger, I haven't been able to post), but I'm determined to say, "Okay Jesus, You are in control, even when I can't see it".

Oh, and the writer in me has already pondered how to use the emotion and experience of this week in my writing! Powerful stuff...

Stay tuned as the adventure unfolds.

5 comments:

  1. Good post. You are so right that God wants to test us to see if we mean what we say. Interesting thing is, He already knows--being the omniscient God that He is.

    I think the test is for our benefit so that WE can see we really meant what we said. Along with everybody who might be watching us.

    Sort of like Abraham heading up the mountain with Isaac. Or Shadrach and friends heading into the furnace. Daniel as they pushed hm into the lions' den. Job as he grieved in front of his friends.

    I like your writerly brain at work on how to use this. That's great, too.

    Continuing to pray!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, poop, I don't like that clause. Call me silly, but I think employers should have to show cause to fire someone.

    But hey, I'm asking Jesus right now to send you something TWICE, no THREE TIMES better than your present situation. Better, more exciting, more rewarding intellectually and financially. God can do that!

    Write an article about it for some Christian publication. Might as well get a bit of cash from the "non-ordinary". :)

    Shalom, babe.
    Mir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and, being the wuss I am---to whom God gave the word "courage" for the year...hehhehheheh--an anecdote:

    When I was around 16 and praying for patience, a lady at church(I was a new believer) told me that praying for patience would like mean the Lord would send me many tests so that I would DEVELOP patience.

    I said, "Oh, then I better stop praying for patience!"

    As you can see, risk-taking is not my forte.

    Mir

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:47 PM

    Ah, my friend. The war is for your heart. Guard your heart with all diligence, for out of it flows the issues of life. I feel that the way you walk this out is vital for your next season. Bless your employers on your way out, make them prosper from the Lord's favor on your life. Choose not to take offence at their choice and watch over your words carefully. I know that you know all this, just stirring you up by way of reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a test so much as an opportunity. I hope it won't take you as long to land on your feet as it took me...but it sounds as if you were already on the edge of the precipice waiting for a push (I was hanging on for dear life.) Lots of good changes in my life as a result of losing a job a few years back. And most of the hardships were self-inflicted.

    ReplyDelete