Monday, April 02, 2007

Writing Resources - Day 7

I've pretty much done with my discussion of writing resources. Concerning websites, I could go on and on with places I've gone for inspiration or information. Solshine7 wanted to point out Light for the Writer's Soul as a good site. I haven't checked it out yet, but I will be indeed.

There are two more books that I thought I'd mention. The first one is Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn from Actors by Brandilyn Collins. She was on my list of website resources. She studied the Method Acting technique, and applies it to developing well-rounded characters. I started the book, but it got pushed aside during a busy time and I've yet to start over (apologies BC!). This is a unique angle and worth checking out.

Another book is by James Scott Bell, who happens to have a pretty good site for resources himself. He also contributes to the Charis Connection writers' blog. He has a book in the "Write Great Fiction" series titled Plot and Structure. Again, this was a book that was started, but busyness forced it aside. Bell gives a lot of helpful advice on his site, enough that I could recommend his book (also from what I read).

On an opposite note, I want to give a word of warning. For a time I was a member of the Writer's Digest book club. It seems like a good deal, and there are various books there that may meet needs you have (I do enjoy my Roget's Super Thesaurus that I got through there). They just happen to be the type of book club that you have to return the little card or they automatically send you a book. I got burned once this way, and they seem to be about producing numerous products that can feed the great desire of writers to improve and eventually publish. Some of them seem a little superfluous, and I just want people to watch what they're getting into. I am not anti-Writer's Digest book club, but I won't avail myself of their services again.

Ultimately, we can read all the "how-to" books we want to, eventually we have to DO the writing if we're going to get anywhere. I need this encouragement too! Hopefully this was helpful. Now go put it into practice!



4 comments:

  1. Hello Jason,

    After reading your comments regarding Writer’s Digest Book Club, I thought you might welcome feedback from the Club’s editor.

    In your April 2 entry, you state: On an opposite note, I want to give a word of warning. For a time I was a member of the Writer's Digest book club. It seems like a good deal, and there are various books there that may meet needs you have. … They just happen to be the type of book club that you have to return the little card or they automatically send you a book. I got burned once this way I’d like to respond by saying we are not in the business to “burn” anyone. The model for Writer’s Digest Book Club is very similar to other book and CD clubs in that it works on a “negative option” basis. This means, if the member does not return his card by the due date stated in the Bulletin and on the Selection Card, the Main Selection book is automatically mailed to him (or her). This policy is clearly stated in our joining information (under “How the Club Works”) and should be read and understood before a person signs up to become a Club member. Our policy states, “To place an order or cancel the Main Selection, simply respond online at www.WritersDigestBookClub.com or return your Selection Card by the marked date. If we don’t hear from you, we’ll send the Main Selection automatically.”

    Our members have nearly a month before the due date to send back their Selection Card with an order or with the box checked that tells us to “Send Nothing This Month.” They can also place an order or decline the shipping of the Main Selection on our Web site. If a book is sent because the member forgot to return his card by the due date or if, by chance, the post office holds up our mailing or the card gets lost, the member can always return the book by requesting a postage-paid return label or by writing “Return to Sender” on the unopened package.

    Writer’s Digest Book Club is proud to offer its members very good benefits. They get FREE shipping and handling on any prepaid order. They save 15% - 20% on every book they purchase, and special sales can save them up to 65% off retail price. Members can also shop all day every day through our comprehensive Web site.

    Regarding your comment Ultimately, we can read all the "how-to" books we want to, eventually we have to DO the writing if we're going to get anywhere. You are absolutely correct. Our mission at Writer’s Digest states in part that we exist “to inform and inspire you as you seek to write and publish.” We believe that we accomplish our goal by offering the strongest, best books that writers need and want. In fact, Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell (part of our Write Great Fiction series) and The Key by James Fry, two of the books you recommend on your blog, are carried in the Club. We also carry Terry Whalen’s Book Proposals That Sell.

    As for your comment, I just want people to watch what they're getting into. I couldn’t agree more. No one should ever commit to joining anything unless he or she has a full understanding of what is being offered and what is required from them.

    Best Regards,
    Linda Walker
    Writer’s Digest Book Club Editor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to have the comment. Perhaps "burn" is too strong a word. Let me rephrase: I decided that I did not want to deal with a "negative reply" situation anymore, and have therefore decided not to be part of the WD book club. The book I got stuck with was partly due to my failure to not return the card. However, the time frame is only about 3 weeks for returning the card, and by the time I figured out the return policy, I had passed the window of opportunity. Ultimately I own the book by my fault, but I recognized their set-up was not for me.

    I would say that those who don't like to keep up with something like that should think twice before signing up for WD book club. Yes, they carry books I have recommended (the Bell book was published by them), but you can get them other places as well.

    I apologize for being a little too negative in my post. Definitely, if it seems like a good fit for you, then by all means take advantage of it. Just be aware of all the requirements, as said in the above comment. I wasn't trying to bash, but to point out a tripping point in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jason,

    Thank you for taking the time to post your reply. Like everything else, some things work for some people while not others - and the book club is no exception.

    I wish you much success with your writing. If you'd like to add my email to your list, it is wdbc@fwpubs.com.

    Best,
    Linda Walker
    Editor, Writer's Digest Book Club

    PS - the time between our mailing the Bulletins and the receipt of it by our members relies on the efficiency of the US Postal system. That's where our Website comes in handy - members can browse, buy, and accept or decline their Main Selections all from the site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jason,

    Thank you for taking the time to post your reply. Like everything else, some things work for some people but not for others - and the book club is no exception.

    I wish you much success with your writing. If you'd like to add my email to your list, it is wdbc@fwpubs.com.

    Best,
    Linda Walker
    Editor, Writer's Digest Book Club

    PS - the time between our mailing the Bulletins and the receipt of it by our members relies on the efficiency of the US Postal system. That's where our Website comes in handy - members can browse, buy, and accept or decline their Main Selections all from the site.

    ReplyDelete