Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Interior - "Experimental TV?"

I had to check this out when I first saw it on Christianity Today. The Interior is a movie being released segmentally on its website. The result is a TV show like feeling of episodes, but it will be brought together at the end to be available on DVD.

It has an extremely interesting premise: a young missionary couple deals with their initial deployment into the field in the rainforest of Brazil. They are linked with an older missionary couple who are a little... different. As the interview says, this is a premise that has a lot of potential and has been untapped for the most part.

The filmmakers have been very bold - taking a second mortgage to fund the project, doing auditions via YouTube, yet the project seems to be succeeding and building a community.

The writer says that it is not necessarily a movie exclusively for Christians. He intends to show real struggles. The first four episodes are available online, and I can say that there is plenty of God talk and some surprising challenges presented. One scene in a church really tickled me - you'll have to check it out. I haven't really watched Lost, but the influence is there in the cinematography (at least to my untrained eye).

I don't know where this is going, but it looks very intriguing and is bold in its vision. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment