Sunday, October 15, 2006

Cooking with the Joyners, Take 1

I love my wife.

I just wanted to state that right up front, so everyone had no doubts about this.

Also, my wife has become a good cook. When we got married, I think we could make about 4 things between the two of us. We had to call for help one time on how to boil eggs. Now my wife is not afraid to try new things and comes up with some great dishes to feed all her boys (me included).

But sometimes, she and I both do goofy things in the kitchen.

Today we both had our moments. Sundays are often quiet and relaxing during the afternoon, and we didn't get around to making a nice dinner due to my special project I'll mention below. So it was corn dogs for the boys, and Cambell's Bean and Bacon soup for me. Beccy was deep into a book, so she came in the kitchen and decided my soup looked good, and put some of the same in the microwave to heat it up after mine finished.

I'm sitting down ready to eat when I hear, "Are you supposed to add water to this?"

She had some pretty thick condensed soup there in the bowl, and I got a pretty good chuckle over it.

Course, I had my moment earlier in the day. We had some great tasting Honey Crisp apples, and I decided to try my hand at baking a pie. The recipe called for 6 medium sized apples, but these were pretty large. I peeled and cut 4 of them, thinking that would be fine. I mixed the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and apples together and dumped them into the pie crust.

My pie must have been 6 inches high.

I didn't think that would work very well. But I hate to mess up when I'm learning new recipes and don't know what I need. I didn't want to just take out the extra apples, because then I'd get the sauce all wrong. I ended up dumping all the apples in a strainer, rinsing them all off, and measuring out the right amount of apples before mixing a new batch of sugar and co. to mix with it...

Go ahead and say it: I'm anal. But the pie turned out good!

No comments:

Post a Comment