Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Discipline

I need discipline in my life. It is one of my biggest downfalls - sticking to something. I've battled doing exercise, having regular quiet times and Bible study, and now writing regularly. It's not easy, and I'd appreciate your prayers for this area.

That's not what this post is about.

I'm talking about discipline, as in I was out of line. As in, I needed a spanking. I got one from the Lord today.

Suffice it to say that I was getting a little high and mighty, puffed up over a situation. Someone today that had no idea brought me down to earth real fast.

Ouch.

I realized it right away. "Duly noted, Lord. I'm sorry!"

Hopefully the attitude of running right to the Father for forgiveness was the appropriate response - of course I'd rather that I didn't need a 2x4 to the back of the head in the first place. The passage from Hebrews comes to mind: "the Lord disciplines those He loves" (see 12:5-11 for the context).

Maybe my experience today can be an encouragement to somebody. Walk in righteousness, but if you need the discipline, embrace it. He loves us, and it shows He is working on us.

-----

I'm reading the book Self-Editing for Fiction Writers right now. I think I'll talk about it and some other fiction writing books I've read once I'm done with the current reading. Keep an eye out.

No comments:

Post a Comment