Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'm a Lumberjack...

What would any sane person be doing when it is 14 degrees F outside on a late November evening? Why, marching through a snowy field looking for a Christmas tree!

I had thought about cutting a fresh tree down this year, as we had a nasty dry tree last year. Needles everywhere. After getting home today I heard that my friends were going to a place called "Chop N Shop". No joke. They were wondering if we wanted them to pick us up a tree, as we don't have a truck (almost a sin here in Idaho) and they often help us out with pick-up related duties.

Well, it's hard to have someone else pick out a Christmas tree for you, so we bundled up the crew and followed them out to the country. A retired gentleman was raising trees on his property. He was a little surprised to see us at night. He figured it was kinda hard to see out there, but gave us sharp instruments, told us to watch for stumps, and to have fun.

We tromped around a little bit, checking out contenders. No one fell and got impaled, which I take as a successful night. Finally we settled on a 6' spruce, and I did my best Monty Python imitation. The boys and Beccy skipped back to the van to be warm, while I laid on a blanket in this field in order to bring our Yuletide timber home.

It was a prosperous expedition, and I am ensconed at home all warmed up (though a mug of hot chocolate sounds nice.) The tree is in our front yard, as I'm too frazzled to set it up tonight. But I am confident we will have a nice fresh Christmas tree this year. Maybe I'll post a pic when it is up and decorated.

...and I'm okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment